Best Wheelchair Companies That Accept Medicare (2021)

Affordable wheelchair companies that accept Medicare provide products through the Medicare Part B plan. Medicare pays for 80% of the cost for participating suppliers, and Medigap pays part or all of the remaining 20%. Learning more about wheelchair companies that accept Medicare allows you to get an affordable mobility device.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Dan Wesley is an American entrepreneur and executive. He is an expert in insurance and personal finance, known for creating web portals that connect people to resources to help them meet their goals. As a mentor and leader to many, Dan strives to position himself and those around him for success. Experience Dan graduated in 2000 with a degree in Nuclear Medicine. Dan left medicine but contin...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Overview

  • Medicare-approved wheelchairs require a prescription
  • Medicare Part B covers 80% of the wheelchair cost
  • Medigap will pick up part or all of the coinsurance

Patients that use Medicare as health insurance can obtain a wheelchair at a significant discount. Medicare Part B pays for 80% of a necessary mobility device. On the other hand, Medigap will cover most or all of the coinsurance cost. Understanding more about wheelchair companies that accept Medicare will help you get an affordable device.

Before learning more about wheelchair companies that accept Medicare insurance, enter your ZIP code to find free Medicare rates in your area.

What is the cost of mobility devices from wheelchair companies that accept Medicare?

People who require a mobility device might ask, does Medicare cover a wheelchair? Unfortunately, a wheelchair can be quite expensive. For example, the average manual wheelchair costs about $500 and a power wheelchair costs $1,000 to $2,000.

However, the good news is that Original Medicare will cover part of your wheelchair. Additionally, you might have more coverage depending on your plan. Medicare Part B covers outpatient medical costs and will pay for 80% of a medically-necessary wheelchair, walker, scooter, or other in-home mobility devices.

Accordingly, Medigap covers most costs left uncovered by Medicare Part A and Part B. These plans will help with buying a wheelchair. Patients will usually pay a coinsurance fee, equaling 20% of the price. That is to say, Medigap covers most or all of the coinsurance.

It’s important to note that there are some restrictions. Thus, for a wheelchair to be Medicare-acceptable, the patient must require the chair for indoor and outdoor activities. Wheelchairs only used for outdoor use won’t be covered by Part B.

Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the qualifications for wheelchair companies that accept Medicare?

Durable medical equipment (DME) is any device ordered by a health care provider determined to be medically necessary for a patient. Covered equipment ranges from a wheelchair or scooter to a portable oxygen tank.

In this case, your doctor and DME supplier must enroll in Medicare for the program to cover a wheelchair. If the doctor and supplier are enrolled and able to provide the equipment, Medicare will reimburse the supplier 80% of the cost of the chair.

Medicare also requires that the supplier accept assignment. Assignment means the supplier will only charge patients the coinsurance amount and Part B deductible. Assignment limits rates with wheelchair companies that accept Medicare. However, it provides the supplier with financial protection.

When ordering a wheelchair, determine whether your supplier is enrolled in Medicare before you buy. Those not enrolled can charge patients any price. Unenrolled suppliers will force you to pay the entirety of the bill.

Check enrollment status by looking at the Medicare supplier directory. It is located on the Medicare website. This directory allows you to search for Medicare wheelchair suppliers near me.

If you’re looking for a supplier of Medicare-approved wheelchairs, the directory will give you companies in your area. This online index is the best place to start if you’re searching for quotes from wheelchair companies that accept Medicare.

How do you buy from wheelchair companies that accept Medicare?

The process of buying a medically-necessary wheelchair through Medicare starts with a visit to your doctor. This in-person meeting will allow them to determine your mobility issues and if a device is needed.

Once your doctor determines that you need mobility assistance, they’ll send any relevant medical records and a prescription to the DME provider within 45 days. The doctor and DME supplier will then work together to determine the best fit for your needs.

The DME supplier will visit your home to ensure there’s enough room to maneuver with the device chosen. For example, they might make home improvement suggestions based on the amount of space available, such as increasing the width of hallways.

After the doctor orders the device from the DME supplier, the company will deliver the chair to your home. You’ll also get user instructions.

Wheelchair companies that accept Medicare: What’s the bottom line?

Medicare will pay for 80% of a medically-necessary wheelchair if your doctor and DME supplier is enrolled. If you have Medigap coverage, it will pick up part or all of the remaining 20%. Knowing about wheelchair companies that accept Medicare will help you find the best-priced mobility device.

Now that you know about wheelchair companies that accept Medicare, enter your ZIP code to get free Medicare quotes in your area.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption